Millions of lives are affected by the life-threatening disease known as Cancer. Cancer has become a significant public health concern in India, with the burden of this disease steadily rising. However, there is hope on the horizon as India has been making significant strides in the field of cancer treatment.
This blog will explore the best cancer hospital in India, including the latest advancements and advantages for choosing India for treatment.
What is Cancer, and What is its Etiology?
Cancer is a type of disease that is caused due to the uncontrollable multiplication of cells spread in the body. It is the second most common cause of death worldwide. Early detection and treatment may help the patient to live a long life.
Cancer starts when the genes mutate and create cancerous cells. These cancerous cells divide abnormally and form a cluster of cells known as a tumor. These cells may also spread to all body parts through the lymphatic system.
The common risk factors that cause the different types of Cancer are:
- Smoking: This is the most common cause of lung, pancreatic, oesophageal, and oral Cancer.
- Diet: Poor diet, like high-fat or high-sugar food intake, may also cause different types of Cancer. People have a high risk of this disease if they don’t exercise enough.
- Environment: The exposure to asbestos, pesticides, and radon can eventually lead to Cancer.
- Radiation exposure: Exposure to ultraviolet radiation increases the risks of skin cancer. Over-exposure to the radiation of X-rays and Ultrasound is also a cancer risk factor.
- Hormone therapy: Women who undergo hormonal therapy have a high chance of getting breast and endometrial Cancer.
What are the Advancements of Cancer Therapy in India?
As the cancer death toll rises, there is also an advancement in the treatment of Cancer. With an aim of early detection and treatment, scientists research for the development of effective and minimally invasive cancer therapy.
Some of the advancements in Cancer Therapy in India are:
- Immunotherapy: India has begun introducing immunotherapy into its cancer treatment plans, including CAR-T cell therapy and checkpoint inhibitors in some instances. Research in India has been focused on developing indigenous immunotherapies tailored to the genetic and immunological profiles of Indian patients.
- Precision Medicine: The use of genomic profiling and next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology to find mutations in cancer patients is gaining popularity. To improve patient outcomes through individualized treatment plans, Indian institutes have started working together on international precision medicine projects.
- Advanced Radiation Therapy: Facilities for proton therapy have been built in India, providing precision radiation therapy with little harm to healthy tissue. Access to stereotactic radiosurgery and radiotherapy has improved, particularly for malignancies of the spine and brain.
- Surgical Innovations: Indian surgeons have adopted minimally invasive and robotic-assisted surgical techniques for cancer surgeries. Intraoperative imaging tools have been used to enhance the precision of tumor removal.
- Telemedicine and Teleconsultations: Telemedicine platforms in India have made it easier for cancer patients, especially those in remote areas, to access consultations with expert oncologists. These platforms have been used for follow-up care, reducing the need for frequent in-person visits.
- Cancer Screening and Early Detection: India has been working on AI-powered tools for early cancer detection, especially in cervical and breast cancer cases. Mobile health clinics and community-based cancer screening programs have improved access to early diagnosis in rural areas.
- Supportive Technologies: In India, resources for controlling symptoms, keeping track of prescriptions, and contacting support groups have been created via mobile apps and internet platforms.
- Patient Data Management: Hospitals and cancer centers in India have adopted electronic health records (EHRs) to streamline patient data management and improve treatment coordination.
- Research Collaborations: Indian researchers and institutions have collaborated with international counterparts on cancer research, clinical trials, and drug development.
Why Choose India for the Destination of Cancer Treatment?
The Indian healthcare system grew rapidly and adopted many new advanced technologies for the treatment of different types of cancers. There are many best cancer hospitals in India that NABH and NABL accredited for their excellence in medical and treatment services. The advanced technology and unmatched efforts of the oncologists for the treatment attract international patients for cancer treatment.
- State-of-the-art technologies: India boasts a network of modern hospitals and oncology centers equipped with state-of-the-art technology. The hospital has a well-equipped advanced diagnostic facility like PET scan, MRI, CT scan, etc. Many hospitals have received international accreditation for their quality of care.
- Cost affordability: Compared to other Western countries, treatment cost is quite affordable in India. International patients come to India for cost-effective cancer treatment.
- Experienced Oncologists: Indian oncologists surgeons are renowned and have expertise and experience in treating various types of cancers like lungs, breast, and many more. The surgeons are trained internationally and work in leading medical institutions worldwide.
- Advancement in Technology: In India, there is a development of advanced techniques and procedures, like minimally invasive surgery, robotic-assisted surgery, etc., for the treatment of Cancer. Hospitals are also equipped with advanced diagnostic technology.
- Minimal Waiting Timing: The waiting time for treatment in India is shorter than in other countries. The hospitals of India offer relatively shorter waiting times, ensuring timely treatment.
What are the Best Cancer Hospitals Available in India?
Choosing the best hospitals from the pool of options is one of the crucial tasks. Here is the list of some of the best cancer hospitals in India are:
Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata
- Apollo Gleneagles Hospital is a multispecialty hospital in India accredited by NABH and NABL.
- The hospital’s oncology unit has well-trained and skilled oncologist specialists who are internationally recognized.
- The facility has various advanced cancer diagnosis and treatment technologies like IGRT THERAPY, IMRT THERAPY, Comprehensive Brachytherapy by image 4D-CRT, and Knifeless Surgery of the Brain by Radiosurgery.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital is the leading multispeciality hospital in India.
- It is recognized as one of the top cancer hospitals in India that aims to provide comprehensive care to cancer patients.
- The hospital has a facility for cutting-edge- technologies like minimally invasive surgeries, robotic surgeries, etc.
- The surgeons are experts in stem cell transplantation for treating cancer in adults and pediatric patients.
Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Artemis Hospital is one of the renowned multispecialty hospitals accredited by NABH and NABL.
- The hospital has internationally recognized oncologists who aim to provide and treat complex cancer cases.
- The hospital has cutting-edge advanced technologies like fluoroscopy, multi-slice cardiac CT-64 slice, MRI-3T, BMD-Dexa scan, etc.
- The oncology department’s nuclear medicine department has a Gamma camera imaging facility, including stress thallium.
Ruby General Hospital, Kolkata:
- Ruby General Hospital is a multispecialty hospital accredited by NABH and ISO 9001.
- The hospital has a well-established oncology department with cutting-edge technology for treating different types of cancers.
- The surgeons are well-trained from reputed institutes that can perform many types of cancer surgeries.
- It is also honored with the prestigious’ Healthcare Achievers Award’ for the best multispecialty hospital.
Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai
- Jaslok Hospital is a tertiary multispecialty hospital in India accredited by NABH.
- It is best known for successfully conducting minimally invasive surgeries and robotic surgeries for the cases of esophageal and thyroid cancers.
- The hospital has specialized equipment like central vascular access devices like PICC line, Hickman Line, and Portacath for blood sampling.
- The oncologists are well-trained from reputed institutes and have extensive experience performing advanced procedures.
Cancer treatment in India has come a long way, with world-class facilities and innovative therapies available. However, challenges persist, emphasizing the need for increased awareness, early detection, and continued efforts to bridge the treatment gap. With ongoing advancement in the best cancer hospital in India and a commitment to improving cancer care, India is making significant strides in the fight against this devastating disease, offering hope to countless patients and their families.